Clean Vehicle Is a Must
When you pick up your vehicle, it should have been washed, cleaned and vacuumed, There should be no dirt or dust in the car and definitely no old parts in the trunk.
Take a close look at the area that was repaired. Look for gaps between body panels first. If the gaps are obviously uneven, that’s a telltale sign of panels not being aligned correctly.
If there was extensive front-end damage to the car, it can be difficult for a body shop to repair perfectly. One way to spot a problem is to look at the distance between the tire and fender. If it is wide on one side and narrow on the other, something wasn’t fixed properly. Another test is to turn on the headlights to ensure that the light beams are aligned.
Paint Jobs: Matching Colors and Consistency
One of the most challenging jobs in a body shop is paint matching. Punching in the factory paint codes gets you 95 percent of the way to matching the color, But the remaining 5 percent has to be done by people who really know what they’re doing.
If possible, look at the car in the sunlight to make sure that the new paint matches the car’s original shade and finish. Also, if the shop repainted several panels, sight along the side of the car to look for color consistency. And finally, examine the paint for runs or imperfections such as hair or specks of dirt trapped in the finish.
When It Isn’t Fixed Right
In some cases, a problem with the repair develops months later. A common scenario is that you notice the car’s front tires are wearing unevenly. This could be a sign that the front suspension hasn’t been straightened and repaired correctly. Find your paperwork and receipt, bring the car back and show the manager the tire’s wear pattern. The shop should fix the problem under the warranty.
JJH Autto Body & Paint